The Department of Gastroenterology
is the only centre in this region to provide the services in this specialty for managing patients with all sorts of gastrointestinal, liver and pancreatic diseases. The department is headed by Dr. Md. Asif Ali Ahmed, DM. The departments offer and perform all diagnostic and therapeutic upper & lower endoscopies and ERCPs with video scopes for adults and children. The department has successfully performed more than 60 ERCP and more than 4000 endoscopies till date including different endoscopic procedures.Department of Gastrointestinal Sciences Major Facilities and Strength
• Well equipped advanced unit.
• Critical Intestinal, pancreatic and liver disorder treatment.
• Advanced endoscopic unit.
• Diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy of upper and lower gastrointestinal tract.
• Paediatric therapeutic endoscopy.
• Ability to handle removal of abdominal polyps, biopsy from terminal ileum to rule out Crohn's disease, intestinal tuberculosis of all age groups, dilation and stenting of oesophageal, gastro duodenal and colonic strictures.
• Advanced ERCP facilities to handle all critical biliary disorders like big stones, worms, strictures and malignancies by removal of stones, dilation of strictures and stenting including metal stenting.
• Therapeutic ERCP for pancreatic disorder.Supporting Infrastructure
• Full-fledged up to date laboratory
• Radiologic and endoscopic facility
• Ability to handle all liver disorders and end stage liver disease
• PCR lab for chronic hepatitis B and C patients.
• Full evaluation and treatment of different chronic liver diseases including biopsyWorld Class Surgical Unit
• State-of-the-art operation room complex (OR)
• Facilities for pancreatic surgery
• Facilities for new and latest gastrointestinal and hepatopancreatic biliary surgery
• Cancer surgeries
• Surgeon with experience from CMC, Vellore with adequate super specialty training in GI surgery
• GUT Club and Radiology Club for complex Gastrointestinal problems
• Facility for major hepatobiliary and pancreatic traumaFuture Plans
• Work on small intestinal disorders
• Perform liver resections and liver transplantation services.
Treated thousands of critical patients from far and near in last two years since inception and served the region with best professional services in the field.